Jump directly to the content
Notes & Numbers, January 2017

Reporting Social Security Taxes

A provision in the tax code that causes a lot of confusion is this one: ministers are always treated as self-employed for Social Security with regard to services they perform in the exercise of their ministry. This provision—sometimes referred to as the "dual tax status" of ministers—is true even if ministers are employees for federal income tax reporting.

Article Preview

This article is currently available to ChurchLawAndTax.com subscribers only. To continue reading:

From Issue:
Church Finance Today, 2017, January
Posted December 16, 2016
View All
from our store
Church IT

Church IT

Learn how to find the best solutions when choosing software and hardware for your church.
2017 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

2017 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

Find comprehensive help understanding United States tax laws as they relate to pastors and churches.
20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

Richard Hammar shares his answers to 20 of the most widely asked and relevant tax and finance questions for church leaders.