Many churches have received ominous and unsolicited advertisements warning them to begin displaying workplace posters or face dire consequences. These advertisements have created considerable confusion and apprehension among church leaders. Are churches required to display posters? If so, which ones? And, what are the penalties for noncompliance?
This article is the fourth in a series that addresses the application of various poster requirements to churches under both federal and state law. In the previous three issues of Church Treasurer Alert! we addressed poster requirements under the following federal laws:
- Fair Labor Standards Act (the minimum wage and overtime law)
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other federal employment laws
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Family Leave Act
- the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.
In this edition of Church Treasurer Alert! we will address penalties for failing to display a required workplace poster, commercially available posters, and state poster requirements.