Jump directly to the content
Is a Minister an Employee or a Self-employed  Person for Income Tax Reporting Purposes?
Is a Minister an Employee or a Self-employed Person for Income Tax Reporting Purposes?
A recent tax court ruling addresses this issue

The question of whether a minister should report his or her federal income taxes as an employee or as a self-employed person is one that has generated a good deal of controversy. It is a significant question for many reasons, including the following:

(1) Employees report their compensation directly on Form 1040, and claim unreimbursed business expenses on Schedule A only if they itemize deductions and only to the extent that such expenses (together with most other miscellaneous expenses) exceed 2% of adjusted gross income (only 80% of travel and entertainment expenses are counted). Self-employed persons report compensation and business expenses on Schedule C. Business expenses are in effect deductible whether or not the minister itemizes deductions, and are not subject to the 2% floor.

(2) Adjusted gross income ordinarily will be higher if a minister reports as an employee, since business expenses are deductions from adjusted gross income. Self-employed persons deduct business expenses in computing adjusted gross income. Adjusted gross income is a figure that is important for many reasons. For example, the percentage limitations applicable to charitable contributions and medical expense deductions are tied to adjusted gross income.

(3) Ministers working for a church or church agency should receive a Form W-2 each year if they are employees, and a Form 1099-MISC if they are self-employed (and receive at least $600 in compensation).

(4) Favorable tax-deferred annuities offered by nonprofit organizations (including churches) may only be available to employees.

Article Preview

This article is currently available to ChurchLawAndTax.com subscribers only. To continue reading:

From Issue:
View All
from our store
2018 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

2018 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

Find comprehensive help understanding United States tax laws as they relate to pastors and churches.
20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

Richard Hammar shares his answers to 20 of the most widely asked and relevant tax and finance questions for church leaders.
Your Guide To Employee Handbooks

Your Guide To Employee Handbooks

If updated regularly, an employee handbook can offer valuable legal protection against civil court claims made by disgruntled staff members.