Jump directly to the content

Tax CalendarTax Calendar

Important deadlines for churches and ministers
Tax Calendar: November/December 2011
PAGE 1 of 1

Churches and Ministers Should Be Aware of the Following Deadlines in November and December of 2011

Note: If a date listed below for filing a return or making a tax payment falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday (either national or statewide in a state where the return is required to be filed), the return or tax payment is due on the following business day.

Semiweekly requirements

• If your church or organization reported withheld taxes of more than $50,000 during the most recent lookback period (for 2011 the lookback period is July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010), then the withheld payroll taxes are deposited semiweekly with a bank. This means that for paydays falling on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, the payroll taxes must be deposited on or by the following Wednesday. For all other paydays, the payroll taxes must be deposited on the Friday following the payday. Note further that large employers having withheld taxes of $100,000 or more at the end of any day must deposit the taxes by the next banking day. The deposit days are based on the timing of the employer's payroll. Withheld taxes include federal income taxes withheld from employee wages, the employee's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes, and the employer's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Monthly requirements

• If your church or organization reported withheld taxes of $50,000 or less during the most recent lookback period (for 2011 the lookback period is July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010), then you must deposit payroll taxes monthly. Monthly deposits are due by the 15th day of the following month. Note, however, that if withheld taxes are less than $2,500 at the end of any calendar quarter (March 31, June 30, September 30, or December 31), the church can pay the total withheld taxes directly to the IRS with its quarterly Form 941. Withheld taxes include federal income taxes withheld from employee wages, the employee's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes, and the employer's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Note: You must use electronic funds transfer to make all federal tax deposits. Generally electronic fund transfers are made using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). If you do not want to use EFTPS, you can arrange for your tax professional, financial institution, or payroll service to make deposits on your behalf. If you fail to make a timely deposit, you may be subject to a 10-percent failureto- deposit penalty. EFTPS is a free service provided by the Department of Treasury. To get more information or to enroll in EFTPS, call 1-800-555-4477. You can also visit the EFTPS website at eftps.gov.

Payroll Tax Holiday! Under current law employees pay a 6.2 percent Social Security tax on all wages earned up to $106,800 (in 2011) and self-employed individuals pay a 12.4 percent Social Security self-employment tax on all their self-employment income up to the same threshold. The Tax Relief and Jobs Creation Act of 2010 provides a payroll tax and self-employment tax "holiday" during 2011 of two percentage points. This means that employees will pay only 4.2 percent on wages and self-employed individuals will pay only 10.4 percent on self-employment income up to the threshold. This provision was passed to stimulate the economy by increasing the take-home pay of millions of workers. The IRS has issued new withholding tables (see Publication 15) that reflect this change, and churches should be using the new tables. Employers and payroll companies will handle the withholding changes, so workers typically will not need to take any additional action, such as filling out a new W-4 withholding form.

November 10

• Churches having nonminister employees (or one or more ministers who report their federal income taxes as employees and who have elected voluntary withholding) may file their employer's quarterly federal tax return (Form 941) by this date instead of October 31 if all taxes for the third calendar quarter have been deposited in full and on time.

December 15

  • Complete all year-end transactions to be sure that they are reportable on your income tax return.
  • A church must make quarterly estimated tax payments if it expects an unrelated business income tax liability for the year to be $500 or more. Use IRS Form 990-W to figure your estimated taxes. Quarterly estimated tax payments of one-fourth of the total tax liability are due by April 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15, 2011, for churches on a calendar-year basis. Deposit quarterly tax payments electronically using the EFTPS system.

December 31

  • Churches must designate a portion of each minister's compensation as a housing allowance by this date in order for ministers who own or rent their homes to receive the full benefit of a housing allowance exclusion for calendar year 2012. The designation should be adopted during a regular or special meeting of the church board, and should be contained in the written minutes of the meeting.
  • Churches should designate a parsonage allowance for any minister who lives in a parsonage and who is expected to pay some of the expenses of maintaining the parsonage (e.g., utilities, furnishings, repairs, improvements, yard care). For sample housing and parsonage allowance resolutions, see chapter 6 in Richard Hammar's 2011 Church and Clergy Tax Guide.
  • Donors must deliver checks on or by this date in order to claim a charitable contribution deduction for 2011. Checks that are placed in the church offering during the first worship service in 2012 will not qualify for a charitable contribution deduction in 2011, even if the check is predated to 2011 or was actually written in 2011. However, checks that are written, mailed, and postmarked in 2011 will be deductible in 2011 though they are not received by a church until 2012.
  • Your marital status on this date determines your filing status for the year.
  • If you have a minister or lay worker who is treated as self-employed for federal income tax reporting purposes, but who you would like to reclassify as an employee, the ideal time to make the change is on January 1 of the new year.

This content is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is sold with the understanding that the publisher is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. "From a Declaration of Principles jointly adopted by a Committee of the American Bar Association and a Committee of Publishers and Associations."

Due to the nature of the U.S. legal system, laws and regulations constantly change. The editors encourage readers to carefully search the site for all content related to the topic of interest and consult qualified local counsel to verify the status of specific statutes, laws, regulations, and precedential court holdings.


If you found this article helpful, subscribe to ChurchLawAndTax.com for access to more articles like this one.

View All
from our store
2019 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

2019 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

Find comprehensive help understanding United States tax laws as they relate to pastors and churches.
12 Law & Tax Guidelines for New Ministers

12 Law & Tax Guidelines for New Ministers

Essential knowledge to ensure legal and financial clarity and integrity in ministry.
Church Compensation

Church Compensation

Learn the many pieces of employee compensation so you're in compliance with government guidelines and your ministry staff is properly cared for.
20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

Richard Hammar shares his answers to 20 of the most widely asked and relevant tax and finance questions for church leaders.



Experience a whole new way to set compensation. Eliminate the guesswork – get access to detailed compensation reports in just minutes.