Jump directly to the content

New MinisterWeekly Lessons

Continuing education for ministry leaders
New Minister
Weekly Lessons, created and written by Richard R. Hammar, J.D., LL.M., CPA, give you a basic legal overview of essential topics based on staff or volunteer positions within a church.

This Week's LessonWeek of September 23

Should I Report My Social Security Taxes as an Employee or as Self-Employed?


This lesson examines one of the most confusing topics for new ministers: your employment status for Social Security purposes. The Executive Summary provides a concise review of the key points. Before we get started, test your knowledge by completing the following quiz.


Executive Summary

Ministers always are self-employed for social security purposes with respect to their ministerial services. This is true even if you are treated as an employee for federal income tax purposes. This means you pay the self-employment tax, not "social security" and "Medicare" taxes. Your employing church must not treat you as employee for social security purposes, even though they issue you a W-2 Form for income taxes.

Article Preview

This article is currently available to ChurchLawAndTax.com subscribers only. To continue reading:

View All
from our store
12 Law & Tax Guidelines for New Ministers

12 Law & Tax Guidelines for New Ministers

Essential knowledge to ensure legal and financial clarity and integrity in ministry.
2018 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

2018 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

Find comprehensive help understanding United States tax laws as they relate to pastors and churches.
Church Finance

Church Finance

Learn about budgeting, financial reporting, tax compliance, insurance coverage, and more.
20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

20 Finance Questions Churches Ask

Richard Hammar shares his answers to 20 of the most widely asked and relevant tax and finance questions for church leaders.

Experience a whole new way to set compensation. Get access to detailed compensation reports in just minutes.