Jump directly to the Content

How They Do It: 5 Churches Explain Their Budget Years

The pros and cons of fiscal years versus calendar years.

How They Do It: 5 Churches Explain Their Budget Years

Most churches use the traditional calendar year—January 1 to December 31—for their budget years.

But not all churches do.

Some use a fiscal year—often July 1 to June 30—and those that do say it helps ease the administrative burdens that come in December and January. Year-end contributions and church and clergy tax reporting requirements already are on deck at that time of year, so adding in the finalization and approval of the next budget only overloads staffs, leaders, and members even more.

Yet the vast majority of churches use a traditional calendar budget year—71 percent, in fact, according to the "How Churches Spend Their Money," a survey of more than 2,000 church leaders conducted in 2014 by Christianity Today's Church Law & Tax Group. Of the remaining 29 percent who use a fiscal year, they're more likely to be a larger church with a ...

Join now to access this member-only content

Become a Member

Already a member? for full access.

Related Topics:
Posted:
  • November 5, 2014

Related ResourcesVisit Store

How Churches Spend Their Money: 2019 Executive Report
How Churches Spend Their Money: 2019 Executive Report
This report will give you an inside look at how churches nationwide spend their money.
Nonprofit Finance
Nonprofit Finance
The Field Guide for Financial Operations of Ministries, Schools, and Other Public Charities
2021 Church & Clergy Tax Guide (Book)
2021 Church & Clergy Tax Guide (Book)
The most comprehensive and authoritative tax guide available.
Church Compensation - Second Edition
Church Compensation - Second Edition
From Strategic Plan to Compliance