Some days I suspect the speed of change is surpassing the speed of sound.
The explosion of change in technology, communication, and the world booms all around. In the clamor, I anchor myself to the ancient truths found in the person of Jesus of Christ.
I’m not alone.
Millions upon millions of others have answered the call to follow Jesus. Despite the booming, noisy changes all around, they continue following, obeying, and responding to Jesus: day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, until they’ve followed Jesus for a lifetime. These are my heroes.
Many of them work and serve in your church. These pastors and leaders make mighty sacrifices to serve you. October is when to celebrate them during Pastor Appreciation Month. (But I suspect anytime is a good time to recognize these men and women.)
Here are 11 ways to say “thank you”:
- Purchase a gift card to their favorite restaurant.
- Bring flowers you purchase or pick. If your pastor is married, give flowers to their spouse.
- Find out your pastor’s favorite beverage (soda, tea, etc.) and stock them up.
- Purchase movie tickets for their family.
- Offer your family cabin, hotel points, or timeshare week to your pastor for a much-needed vacation.
- Select a gift tied into your pastor’s hobby or passion.
- Show love to the pastors’ kids through gifts and tickets to fun experiences.
- Slip cash in a card. Your pastor and their family have a list of needs you don’t know about but your gift can make a big difference.
- Simply ask, “What can I do to be of service to you and your family?” and come prepared with three ideas such as handy-person services, babysitting, or dinner delivery.
- Pray for your pastor and write your prayer as a thank you card.
- Offer to take your pastor’s vehicle for service and cleaning.
Together, may we cheer our pastors and leaders on in their work, life, and families.
Editor’s Note: Would a gift certificate to your pastor be taxable? Find out in this Q&A with attorney Richard Hammar.