What is a healthy leadership culture? What does it have to do with a church’s legal liabilities?
While the two questions may sound unconnected, they aren’t. In this episode, Erika further explores them with Dr. Nicholas Pearce, an associate pastor, author, and professor at Northwestern University who has studied, taught, and consulted with organizations, including churches, about leadership.
Along with defining key terms and concepts, Pearce explains the effects of leadership structures and the ways they may create healthy—or unhealthy—dynamics. Pearce also explains the ways pastors and church leaders can learn about strengths and challenges in their church cultures and make positive changes.
Erika and Pearce also examine the relationships between pastors and boards, recognizing the ways those relationships frequently (and unintentionally) become adversarial, and the ways individuals involved can posture themselves for a more cooperative and collaborative approach. Such a commitment can help a church more effectively fulfill its purposes and avoid many of the conflicts that often trigger litigation.
- “Succession Plans: Why Your Church Needs One,” by Erika E. Cole, attorney
- “The Dangers of a Quiet Governance Change,” by Erika E. Cole, attorney
- The Purpose Path: A Guide to Pursuing Your Authentic Life’s Work, by Nicholas Pearce
- The Church Attorney’s Guide: Church Mergers, by Erika E. Cole, attorney https://www.erikacole.com/shop/p/the-church-attorneys-guide-to-church-mergers
- Episode 14: The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill and What You Should Consider Before Changing Your Bylaws, with guest Mike Cosper
- Episode 23: Healthy Leaders, Healthy Churches, Reduced Legal Liability
- Episode 24: Helping Pastors Get Financial Healthy, with guest Elaine Sommerville, CPA
- Episode 25: Supporting and Strengthening Mental Health in Churches, with guest Dr. Pernessa C. Seele
- Episode 26: Building a Culture of Safety and Security in Churches, with guest Simon Osamoh
- Faith Leaders Week, Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management
Download your FREE copy of The Church Attorney Legal Audit® System document checklist here.
Questions? We welcome them! Please email Erika Cole at email@example.com. Erika reads each comment and may answer your question in an upcoming episode.
See all episodes of Church Law.
This content is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is sold with the understanding that the publisher is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. "From a Declaration of Principles jointly adopted by a Committee of the American Bar Association and a Committee of Publishers and Associations." Due to the nature of the U.S. legal system, laws and regulations constantly change. The editors encourage readers to carefully search the site for all content related to the topic of interest and consult qualified local counsel to verify the status of specific statutes, laws, regulations, and precedential court holdings.