Six Questions to Ask When Exempting a Minister from Social Security
Six Questions to Ask When Exempting a Minister from Social Security
Here's what ministers should know.

A minister's earnings from performing ministerial duties are considered "net earnings from self-employment" under IRC Section 1402(a)(8). Due to this legal definition, ministers are considered self-employed for purposes of Social Security and Medicare-even if they are considered common law employees for all other employment tax purposes.

While a minister's earnings are defined as self-employment income, ministers are given the ability to opt out of the system by filing Form 4361, Application for Exemption from Self Employment Tax for Use by Ministers, Members of Religious Orders, and Christian Science Practitioners.

Who Qualifies for Exemption?

The exemption is available for ministers, members of religious orders, and Christian Science Practitioners. This article will focus on its application to ministers. The minister must be a licensed, commissioned, or ordained minister of a church. The church must meet the qualifications of an organization exempt from income tax under IRC Section 501(c)(3) [Rev. Rul. 76-415], as well as qualify as a church described in IRC Section 170(b)(1)(A)(i) [Rev. Rul. 80-59]. Therefore, the minister must receive credentials from a U.S. church, since churches organized outside of the United States do not qualify under IRC Section 170(b)(1)(A)(i).

Log In For Full Access

Interested in becoming a member? Learn more.

Related Topics:
Posted: September 4, 2013



Let ChurchSalary do the work. Get personalized compensation reports for staff and pastors.