Employees Who Claim Tax-Exemption and Donating to Mission Trips

Should we honor an employee’s request to discontinue withholding taxes?

Q: One of our church employees has informed us that he considers himself to be exempt from federal taxes, and has asked that we discontinue withholding taxes from his pay. Should we honor his request, or should we continue withholding taxes? Can we be liable if we deny his request?

A: This question was addressed in a recent case. An employee submitted to his employer an amended “Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate,” also known as Form W-4, in which he claimed he was exempt from federal tax withholding. At the same time, he sent his employer a letter enclosing “all of the relevant laws regarding his changed status [to being exempt] and his legal demand to stop withholding federal Social Security (since he does not subscribe to government social programs).” The employer discontinued withholding taxes until it received a “lock-in letter” from the IRS. If the IRS determines that an employee does not have enough withholding, it may notify the employer to increase the amount of withholding tax by issuing a lock-in letter that specifies the maximum number of withholding allowances permitted for the employee. The employer will also receive a copy for the employee that identifies the maximum number of withholding exemptions permitted.

After the receipt of a lock-in letter, an employer must disregard any Form W-4 that decreases the amount of withholding. The employee must submit for approval to the IRS any new Form W-4 and a statement supporting the claims made on the Form W-4 that would decrease federal income tax withholding. If, at any time, the employee furnishes a Form W-4 that claims a number of withholding allowances less than the maximum number specified in the lock-in letter, the employer must increase withholding by withholding taxes based on the letter.

A federal court in Pennsylvania dismissed the employee’s lawsuit. It concluded: “Under the Internal Revenue Code, an employer is shielded from liability to an employee for withholding that employee’s taxes. Section 3403 states: ‘The employer shall be liable for the payment of the tax required to be deducted and withheld under this chapter, and shall not be liable to any person for the amount of such payment.’ Courts have repeatedly relied upon this language to hold that an employee may not bring a claim against his employer for withholding taxes from the employee’s pay …. An employer cannot be made liable for failing to honor an employee’s W-4 form when it has been directed to do so by the Internal Revenue Service.” Giles v. Volvo Trucks, 2008 WL 509178 (M.D. Pa. 2008).

Q: Our youth pastor will be spending a month with students in El Salvador this summer for a missions trip. He would like to bring his wife and children on the trip, although they will have limited involvement in the missions projects. If the pastor raises support for his family’s expenses, would those be tax-deductible contributions?

A: No, contributions given toward the travel expenses of the youth pastor’s wife and children would not be tax-deductible, because their travel is not primarily for ministry purposes. I address this issue on pages 418-421 in my 2008 Church & Clergy Tax Guide if you need additional information.

If you have a financial question, e-mail it to: CTAeditor@christianitytoday.com.

This article first appeared in Church Finance Today, July 2008.

Richard R. Hammar is an attorney, CPA and author specializing in legal and tax issues for churches and clergy.

This content is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is sold with the understanding that the publisher is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. "From a Declaration of Principles jointly adopted by a Committee of the American Bar Association and a Committee of Publishers and Associations." Due to the nature of the U.S. legal system, laws and regulations constantly change. The editors encourage readers to carefully search the site for all content related to the topic of interest and consult qualified local counsel to verify the status of specific statutes, laws, regulations, and precedential court holdings.

ajax-loader-largecaret-downcloseHamburger Menuicon_amazonApple PodcastsBio Iconicon_cards_grid_caretChild Abuse Reporting Laws by State IconChurchSalary Iconicon_facebookGoogle Podcastsicon_instagramLegal Library IconLegal Library Iconicon_linkedinLock IconMegaphone IconOnline Learning IconPodcast IconRecent Legal Developments IconRecommended Reading IconRSS IconSubmiticon_select-arrowSpotify IconAlaska State MapAlabama State MapArkansas State MapArizona State MapCalifornia State MapColorado State MapConnecticut State MapWashington DC State MapDelaware State MapFederal MapFlorida State MapGeorgia State MapHawaii State MapIowa State MapIdaho State MapIllinois State MapIndiana State MapKansas State MapKentucky State MapLouisiana State MapMassachusetts State MapMaryland State MapMaine State MapMichigan State MapMinnesota State MapMissouri State MapMississippi State MapMontana State MapMulti State MapNorth Carolina State MapNorth Dakota State MapNebraska State MapNew Hampshire State MapNew Jersey State MapNew Mexico IconNevada State MapNew York State MapOhio State MapOklahoma State MapOregon State MapPennsylvania State MapRhode Island State MapSouth Carolina State MapSouth Dakota State MapTennessee State MapTexas State MapUtah State MapVirginia State MapVermont State MapWashington State MapWisconsin State MapWest Virginia State MapWyoming State IconShopping Cart IconTax Calendar Iconicon_twitteryoutubepauseplay