Recorded during a live Q&A with pastors and church leaders at Erika’s 16th annual Church Compliance Conference in the Washington, D.C. area, this episode focuses on strengthening churches for renewal and growth.
Continuing this season’s theme of strengthening churches for renewal and growth, Erika—along with guest Matthew Branaugh, attorney and editor from Church Law & Tax—tackle questions covering:
The tax implications of renting church property;
Community development corporations started by churches;
Steps to ensure a church complies with laws and regulations;
Ways to evaluate a ministry that may or may not still fit within a church;
Potential legal and risk liabilities for house churches;
Pay increases and cost-of-living adjustments for employees; and,
Strengthening churches show notes:
- Episode 22: Listener Mailbag: Addressing Your Questions on Love Gifts, Political Activities, Copyright, and More
- Episode 29: Using a Legal Audit to Position Your Church for the Long Haul
- Episode 30: Equipping Your Church Board for Long-Term Success
- The 16th Annual Church Compliance Conference.
- Download your FREE copy of The Church Attorney Legal Audit® System document checklist here, and check out Episode 29 (“Using a Legal Audit to Position Your Church for the Long Haul”) to learn about the importance of a legal audit for your church.
- “How Church-Run Coffee Shops, Bookstores, and Other Ventures Can Trigger Tax Liability” from Church Law & Tax
- Church Finance: The Church Leader’s Guide to Financial Operations, by Michael E. Batts
- “Off-Campus Liability and Churches,” by Richard R. Hammar
- “Compensation-Setting: Aligning Church Priorities with Market Realities,” by Bob Cartwright
- “Take the Next Call,” a six-week online course with Erika E. Cole
Questions? Comments? We welcome them! Please contact Erika Cole at erikacole.com. Erika reads each comment and may answer your question in an upcoming episode.
See all episodes of Church Law.
The Church Law podcast is part of Christianity Today’s ChurchLawAndTax.com, a not-for-profit publishing ministry.
Erika E. Cole, Esq., known as The Church Attorney®, is the creator of The Church Attorney Legal Audit® System, a proprietary legal audit process that helps church leaders be confident they are operating with integrity, and avoiding costly risks. She serves as a senior editorial advisor for Christianity Today’s ChurchLawAndTax.com.
This content is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is sold with the understanding that the publisher is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. "From a Declaration of Principles jointly adopted by a Committee of the American Bar Association and a Committee of Publishers and Associations." Due to the nature of the U.S. legal system, laws and regulations constantly change. The editors encourage readers to carefully search the site for all content related to the topic of interest and consult qualified local counsel to verify the status of specific statutes, laws, regulations, and precedential court holdings.