Jump directly to the content
IRS Form 8822-B: A New Reporting Requirement for Churches
What church leaders should know now, including an upcoming deadline.

Any church that has employees, files employment tax returns, or has a bank or brokerage account, must have an "employer identification number" (EIN). This includes nearly every church in the United States. An EIN is obtained by filing a Form SS-4 with the IRS using the IRS website (irs.gov) or by submitting a paper form. Since 2010, line 7 of Form SS-4 has asked for the name and Social Security number of a "responsible party" of the applicant.

The IRS became increasingly frustrated by its inability to communicate with responsible parties identified in employers' SS-4 forms, usually because the responsible parties designated by employers no longer served in those capacities due to any number of reasons, including resignation or death. On November 18, 2013, the IRS adopted an entirely new requirement to address this problem, stating any employer with an EIN must report changes in the identity of its responsible party to the IRS by March 1, 2014, using Form 8822-B.

Many church leaders want to know if this new reporting rule applies to churches. In the upcoming April 2014 issue of Church Finance Today, I go deeper on the rule's application to churches, including how to complete the form, how to respond to this requirement depending on when your church was founded and obtained an EIN, and how to maintain compliance in future years.

However, to help address some immediate concerns, given the looming March 1, 2014, deadline, here are five key items to note:

Article Preview

This article is currently available to ChurchLawAndTax.com subscribers only. To continue reading:

Related Topics:
February 24, 2014
View All
from our store
2018 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

2018 Church & Clergy Tax Guide

Find comprehensive help understanding United States tax laws as they relate to pastors and churches.
Charitable Contributions Bulletin Inserts

Charitable Contributions Bulletin Inserts

Help your members give more by answering their charitable giving and tax law questions.
Your Guide To Employee Handbooks

Your Guide To Employee Handbooks

If updated regularly, an employee handbook can offer valuable legal protection against civil court claims made by disgruntled staff members.

Experience a whole new way to set compensation. Get access to detailed compensation reports in just minutes.